Sunday, October 19, 2008

Orlando and the Wms Shakespeare

3 days in Orlando Florida presenting at a medical conference and enjoying some fine time with my father.

Orlando Top Moments



1.Puccini sung by a tenor riding an alligator: I couldn't have ordered a more perfect moment to relish with my father. This is for real.




    (He came out to sing again later and his finger was fine)


2. We planned a walk around lake Eola at the center of Orlando's downtown. On the shore of the lake we came upon the "Swan Song" a benefit concert to support the lakes complete preserve for all known swan species. Not only did we get the prize gator opera moment above, but also got to hear a couple warble the duet "Indian Love Call." During my youth, Dad would spoof the fluttering voice of Jeanette MacDonald singing this song ("I'll be calling you. . . "). Listening to music is more enjoyable when sharing it with someone who does it well--having the chance to listen to Indian Love Call, Music of the Night, Walzing Matilda, and others on the lake side was an ideal evening


3. Cell Phone Communication: Thank you Denise!!!


4. We left our hotel with a short time budget to look for a quick lunch. With our perfect navigational sense drove 45 miles and payed $12 in tolls to find the Wendy’s that was across the street from our hotel of origin.


5. Seeing 3 wild gators at the Everglades




6. A heron fishing underwater at the everglades




7. Home-Dried Plums from Provo--Thanks Mom!!


8. Dad on my medical poster—I didn't show him that I had used his image to make a graphic for my poster until the presentation was over. Thereafter, everytime we drove past the stately Orange County Convention Center, he would casually point and say "My picture hung in there for a time." He's a pretty big deal down here.





9. Chinese buffet Saturday night: dad eats crawdad


10. My fortune cookie (?)






11. Visiting too late into the night, waking up too early in the morning


12. Driving the entire coastline of Southern Florida—gulf coast and Atlantic coast





13. Dad reads me some ee cummings as we walk around the lake


14. We underestimate the time to drive home from the Everglades and due to our error we don't have to suffer through BYU's loss to TCU

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a week you will remember for the rest of your life! What a blessed time to have with Dad :-) He's a good one, isn't he? He doesn't know he's the star of Claire's Earth System's project...he,he.

amy shakes said...

Farewell with amputated fingers!!! It sounds like you and Freddie had a great trip. I find myself crooning the Indian Love song to my own sweeties. Love you.

--Weezle

Melissa said...

What a fun weekend. Thanks for sharing. Great pictures and videos!

Shauna-mama-gramma Sam said...

I'm jealous! I want to come too. I totally love visiting "other" countries with strange fauna. That drive around the tip of FL was perfect, especially when accompanied with good company and conversation.

Jennifer said...

Well, I guess if you weren't spending your evening at a Neil Diamond concert, a tenor on a alligator would seem like a great show.

I loved the Wendy's story because it sounds like something I would do. The fortune cookie is *great* -- I hope you kept it.